Based on the specific needs and location of a community, we develop an implementation plan, which can include a combination of the following:
- In-home Use Biosand Water Filters: Easy to install, use and maintain; low cost and highly effective. More information
- Sanitation Facilities: Single-family latrines.
- Parasite Treatment: Based on regulations within the regions, when possible, we partner with local health centers to administer parasite treatments for each household member.
- School-based biosand water filters
- Gender-specific latrines
- Handwashing stations
- Water sourcing solutions
Water becomes truly safe when communities understand the roles hygiene and sanitation play.
- Families and Educators.
- To support the correct and consistent use of their water and sanitation tools, all community members are taught safe water and hygiene practices prior to receiving their filters. These practices, and their importance to health, are typically unknown among the families in these communities.
- Installing filters without education is likely to ultimately result in an unused tool.
- Community Agents.
- Community Agents are volunteers who live in communities served. Each supports and regularly monitors three to five families in their own community.
- Community Agents become an extension of the PWW team. They receive extensive training in water, sanitation and hygiene practices, as well as filter and maintenance support. Through the training program, they are empowered with the knowledge to support and maintain their communities’ safe water programs.
- Other Organizations and Agencies.
- We are committed to sharing our knowledge and expertise with others to accelerate access to safe water and sanitation for all. Read about our WASH Training and Consulting Services.